Transportation Safety Planning Working Group
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
Cambridge Systematics provides support for the Transportation Safety Planning Working Group (TSPWG), an informal, ad hoc partnership of U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) agencies (Federal Highway Administration, Federal Transit Administration, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and professional associations representing the DOT, safety, traffic engineering, and planning communities. The mission of the TSPWG is to fully implement the transportation safety planning and coordinate activities with the implementation and evaluation of Strategic Highway Safety Plans.
- Produce tools, identify examples of leading practice, and provide direct technical assistance to transportation planners on opportunities to effectively integrate safety into the transportation planning process;
- Provide support for meetings which serve as a forum for discussion, collaboration, and innovation in transportation safety planning;
- Enhance participant knowledge and skills for implementing Transportation Safety Planning;
- Document methods, strategies, and other activities used by DOTs, Metropolitan Planning Organizations, and other regional and local planning agencies to improve transportation safety; and
- Conduct outreach, e.g., the TSPWG web site, presentations, and webinars.
The TSPWG continues to tackle the issues and concerns surrounding safety and the transportation planning process. Renewed emphasis on transportation safety planning (TSP) comes at an opportune time. With traffic-related fatalities at their lowest level since 1949, continuing the positive trend requires new and innovative approaches for improving safety. The TSPWG, with support from Cambridge Systematics, will continue to raise awareness among transportation planners of the available information and tools, stimulate research and disseminate results, and increase the availability of materials and services that promote transportation safety planning.